Archive for November, 2013


Bitforce Jalapeno

Bitforce Jalapeno

Hello again. I’ve recently received 2 Bitforce SC Jalapenos in my mail. One of them worked, the other didn’t. I tried every configuration, cable, etc… it just refused to work (if you have the same problem read to the end, my solution involves the fan).

I received a RMA ticket from Butterfly Labs but didn’t want to send it back, so I tried to repair it myself by flashing it (WARNING: this will void your warranty).

Since a have a Raspberry Pi and don’t have a Avr Dragon flasher, I followed this tutorial:
http://randomcontent.wolfnexus.net/RandomSite/reflashing-a-butterfly-labs-jalapeno-with-only-a-raspberry-pi/

The bin image I used was downloaded from here:
https://forums.butterflylabs.com/jalapeno-single-sc-support/5849-help-jalapeno-fast-flashing-no-brain-activity-7.html

Well, it didn’t matter which image I chose it always failed with a “verification error” message, at different flash memory addresses. With that behaviour I arrived at the conclusion that the board must have a faulty power regulator so I

  • Disconnected the external power and used another jumper to connect the “pin 1” from the Pi to the “pin 4” on the Jalapeno JTAG. This gives the interface a 3.3V tension from the Pi.

I tried again to flash it with this new jumper connected (no external power) and the flashing worked!!! 🙂

I tried the new firmware and the cube now works. Even more, at 8GH/s it’s faster than the other one.

BUT, I had disconnected everything and was testing the board with just the cooler. As soon as I plugged the fan again (power it off when doing this) it didn’t work again. So now my conclusion is, either the power regulator or the fan is/are faulty.

I now have it out of the box in a cool spot and it works just fine, though very hot. 😉

No RMA needed! 😀 😀 😀

 

BFGMiner Jalapeno @8GH/s

BFGMiner Jalapeno @8GH/s

UPDATE:

I actually closed the cube now and it’s working. I forgot to tell you: I was in a hurry one morning and connected the fan without powering down the unit. I actually blew a capacitor but it still works so far. 😀 So flash away and don’t RMA.

Select CWM image

Select CWM image

Here’s the 3rd tutorial in my planned Zopo C3 series. Another easy one.

This one is on installing a recovery mod that you’ll need to backup your data before the last tutorial (increasing the phone’s internal storage)

The original ROM that comes with the phone already has a version of Clockworkmod installed but you can’t navigate it and it doesn’t work with “ROM Manager” (by the way, if you use this app to install the mod you’ll brick your phone ;)).

Of course you need root access (tutorial).

First, install the Mobileuncle MTK Tools app from the store.

Next download a CWM 6.0.3.2 recovery image custom made for Zopo models and transfer it to the phone.

Open the Mobileuncle Tools app and choose the “Recovery Update” option.

Select the file you just downloaded and follow all steps.

There you go, now you have a phone recovery that is actually usable. 😀

Delete 'mtkgps.dat'

Delete ‘mtkgps.dat’

Time for another easy tutorial.

This is the only method I could find to fix my terrible GPS reception. I couldn’t get even one satellite signal before.

First you’ll have to have a rooted phone (Tutorial).

Next turn off your data and wireless connections.

Using a terminal or a root enabled file browser navigate to and delete the file ‘/data/misc/mtkgps.dat’.

Last, go to an open area and activate the GPS. You should start detecting signals and eventually get a position lock. The deleted file will be recreated so don’t worry.

This was the only thing that solved my reception problem, hope it solves yours too.

Activate USB Debugging

Activate USB Debugging

System Settings -> Developer Optons

System Settings -> Developer Options

I recently acquired a chinese Zopo C3 smartphone. I’m very happy with it so far, but I’ve had to fiddle with it sometimes to fix things I didn’t like (the GPS not receiving any signal and increasing the internal memory size – I’ll publish tutorials for achieving this as well). Well, the first thing I’ve had to do was to root it. Here’s the easiest method I found.

First, activate USB debugging in the phone and connect it to your computer. It should install the “My HTC” driver automatically.

Then download eroot v1.3.4.

Open the program and after a while the name of the phone should appear as C3 in the window.

eroot Tool

eroot Tool

Press the big green button (the only one on the window) and wait until it completes all 4 steps. The last one takes a while longer than the previous three.

That’s it, your phone should now be rooted. 🙂